Topic Information

Is it illegal to share accounts? by TSAvideo21 in Questions about Scratch

1: TSAvideo21 wrote at 8:26:55 PM 15/9/20204420918
Is it illegal to share accounts?
2: mtech22 wrote at 8:27:53 PM 15/9/20204420920
If with someone who is not your immediate family member, yes, it is “illegal”.
3: fdreerf wrote at 8:28:40 PM 15/9/20204420925
4: PrincessFlowerTV wrote at 8:29:14 PM 15/9/20204420928
I would recommend that you read this.
5: FloatingMuffins wrote at 11:18:29 PM 15/9/20204421345
It’s not ‘illegal’ to share accounts. You wouldn’t get in trouble with law enforcement.

But as others have pointed out, it is against the scratch rules and you would get banned.
6: lovepup3 wrote at 11:21:12 PM 15/9/20204421351
only if it is your family
7: DipLeChip wrote at 11:25:38 PM 15/9/20204421360
Illegal, no.
Not allowed, yes, except when its not (family).
8: aliengiirl wrote at 11:40:44 PM 15/9/20204421399
As others have said, it's only allowed with family. You can't share it with anyone else besides siblings or something, even if it's an IRL friend.

Now, with that in mind, I wouldn't call it illegal, the Feds aren't going to show up at your door knocking since you shared an account with your friends on a kids coding site. It is against scratch guidelines however, and it's not allowed, if you'd like a bit more information why, or just want to know more, I'd recommend this helpful post! (:
9: Ihatr wrote at 11:53:39 PM 15/9/20204421416
Like others have already said, it's pretty much not allowed unless you are sharing the account with your immediate family (mother, brother, etc). Also, I don't get what you mean by “Illegal”. Law enforcement won't show up at your house and give you a nice little arrest warrant if you share a scratch account. But by “Scratch Rules”, it's pretty much not allowed. If you are sharing an account with someone who is not your immediate family, decide on who the owner should be, and transfer the account to their ownership.
10: Mr_PenguinAlex wrote at 1:33:55 AM 16/9/20204421584
It's not allowed, but it's not illegal.
11: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 4:58:11 AM 16/9/20204421814

Ihatr wrote:

Like others have already said, it's pretty much not allowed unless you are sharing the account with your immediate family (mother, brother, etc). Also, I don't get what you mean by “Illegal”. Law enforcement won't show up at your house and give you a nice little arrest warrant if you share a scratch account. But by “Scratch Rules”, it's pretty much not allowed. If you are sharing an account with someone who is not your immediate family, decide on who the owner should be, and transfer the account to their ownership.

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

It's not allowed, but it's not illegal.

aliengiirl wrote:

As others have said, it's only allowed with family. You can't share it with anyone else besides siblings or something, even if it's an IRL friend.

Now, with that in mind, I wouldn't call it illegal, the Feds aren't going to show up at your door knocking since you shared an account with your friends on a kids coding site. It is against scratch guidelines however, and it's not allowed, if you'd like a bit more information why, or just want to know more, I'd recommend this helpful post! (:

DipLeChip wrote:

Illegal, no.
Not allowed, yes, except when its not (family).

FloatingMuffins wrote:

It’s not ‘illegal’ to share accounts. You wouldn’t get in trouble with law enforcement.

But as others have pointed out, it is against the scratch rules and you would get banned.

A wise man once said these words:

Flowermanvista wrote:

Have you maybe considered that English might not be their first language , and that “legal”, for them, may be the best way to describe something that doesn't comply with the language's rules?

Or perhaps, that “legal” doesn't just mean “complies with laws”, and can have a more general meaning or more than one meaning? For example, if I make an illegal move in a game of chess, there's no Chess Police that are going to arrest me for breaking the game's rules, probably the worst that happens is that the opponent will scold me and undo my move, or maybe I'll get a nice tableflip.

As another example, if you've ever used Windows 9.x and had a program bomb out with the infamous “illegal operation” error, that doesn't mean that the nonexistient Cyber Police are going to arrest the program that crashed. It just means that the program did something that could cause issues if it kept going, and Windows stopped it to keep the system running and any files on the hard drive safe.

(Also, OP, if you are actually a native English speaker, sorry if the assumption I made offends you. I didn't mean to offend, so sorry if it comes off that way.)
12: SomeRandomScratchGuy wrote at 8:54:34 AM 16/9/20204422044
What about when it is a friend that you know greatly?
13: GreenGrids_278 wrote at 11:06:52 AM 16/9/20204422184

SomeRandomScratchGuy wrote:

What about when it is a friend that you know greatly?
No, as others said, you still can't, even with a IRL friend.
14: PrincessFlowerTV wrote at 12:45:47 PM 16/9/20204422412

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

-snip-
A wise man once said these words:

-snip-
[offtopic]Thank you for posting this.[/offtopic]
15: aliengiirl wrote at 8:18:16 PM 16/9/20204423608

Flowermanvista wrote:

~snip~
I understand that, I just wanted to clarify for the OP, since a lot of people on scratch are children who could be genuinely afraid that someone's gonna show up and arrest them for breaking CG, or at least they'd get in trouble.

(Sorry to the OP if this assumption offends you, it wasn't targeted towards you. I'm just making a general statement)