Topic Information

FAQ by Mr_PenguinAlex in Questions about Scratch

1: Mr_PenguinAlex wrote at 5:53:55 PM 14/9/20204417678
on the FAQ page it says internet explorer is not supported
but my old school uses internet explorer, and it worked just fine, even after 3.0
there was a small time where it wasn't supported from what i remember though

so whats the dealio
2: fdreerf wrote at 6:01:42 PM 14/9/20204417702
Press Create and you'll soon see what they mean.
The website works fine, the editor does not.
3: Za-Chary wrote at 2:09:11 AM 15/9/20204418809
I think just because Scratch 3.0 happens to work on Internet Explorer doesn't mean we will support it on Internet Explorer. Conversely, when we say that we will not support Scratch 3.0 on Internet Explorer, that doesn't mean that it won't work on Internet Explorer.

Another way of phrasing it might be, if a bug in Scratch 3.0 occurs only in Internet Explorer but not in any other browsers, we wouldn't bother to fix it.
4: DipLeChip wrote at 3:44:43 AM 15/9/20204418917

Za-Chary wrote:

I think just because Scratch 3.0 happens to work on Internet Explorer doesn't mean we will support it on Internet Explorer. Conversely, when we say that we will not support Scratch 3.0 on Internet Explorer, that doesn't mean that it won't work on Internet Explorer.

Another way of phrasing it might be, if a bug in Scratch 3.0 occurs only in Internet Explorer but not in any other browsers, we wouldn't bother to fix it.
Adding to that, IE only exists today as a mean of browsing legacy sites, as newer browsers break some of them.
Your school should not be using IE, it should be using either Edge, Firefox, Chrome, or any other mainstream browser.
5: CatsUnited wrote at 8:25:18 AM 15/9/20204419210

DipLeChip wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

Adding to that, IE only exists today as a means of browsing legacy sites, as newer browsers break some of them.
Your school should not be using IE, it should be using either Edge, Firefox, Chrome, or any other mainstream browser.
IE still gets a notable amount of use from organisations such as schools or businesses - as an example, some legacy software uses ActiveX, which requires Internet Explorer and I know places out there that still keep this stuff around