Topic Information

how to teach kids Scratch? by tomliuwhite in Questions about Scratch

1: tomliuwhite wrote at 6:28:32 AM 1/8/20204279298
I have a daughter and I have taught her a little bit about Scratch. Now I would like to teach more kids about it. I have some questions related to this:
1, Would that be better if I use a book to teach? If so, what book do you recommend?
2, What is the suitable age range(e.g. 7-14…) for kids to learn Scratch?
3, Any suggestion on how to teach kids Scratch? such as, homework, class setting…
4, Any resources that I can find on how to teach kids Scratch?
5, Is there a specific forum for teachers/parents to talk about how to teach kids Scratch?
Thanks.
2: qrcool wrote at 6:40:40 AM 1/8/20204279315
1: I would recommend “Coding for Beginners using Scratch” by Usborne, while having been made in 2.0, it reallyhelps you get an idea of what's possible.
2: Targeted toward a more 7-10, though there are a lot of 11-13
3: I think a class setting might work for the first few lessons, then gradually introduce homework
4: None that I know of, though I am a child and am probably not the best resource.
5: Same as above.
3: -Zyte- wrote at 6:51:57 AM 1/8/20204279328

qrcool wrote:

1: I would recommend “Coding for Beginners using Scratch” by Usborne, while having been made in 2.0, it reallyhelps you get an idea of what's possible.
2: Targeted toward a more 7-10, though there are a lot of 11-13
3: I think a class setting might work for the first few lessons, then gradually introduce homework
4: None that I know of, though I am a child and am probably not the best resource.
5: Same as above.
Scratch is actually designed for ages 8-16.

1. Not that I know of. A lot of people on Scratch just self-learn, which turns out quite good if you are willing to practise.
2. Above
3. Scratch is fun, so your daughter should be willing to learn. As qrcool said, gradually introduce homework.
4. I learned myself and if you are confused, you can always use the Help with Scripts forum. There are a lot of very smart people on there.
5. No.
4: Byron_Inc wrote at 6:56:12 AM 1/8/20204279337
1. There are books on sale about Scratch. However, they aren't very needed because you can just refer to them in the “Tips” section in the editor.
2. It is 8 to 16 years old. The most Scratchers joined at 11 to 13 years old.
3. There is a class setting, but you have to be an educator to have a teacher account. You can give them homework, but all by yourself, from teaching to marking.
4. Yes! There are the tips sections.
5. I don't think so. But I think I saw a studio called “Parents on Scratch” which you can probably enter.
P.S.: Last names are not allowed on Scratch. I'd suggest you to contact ST to change your username.
5: HW_Games wrote at 12:26:48 PM 1/8/20204279841
1. There's a book called ‘Coding games with Scratch’ but most people learn by just playing around with code.
2. The age range is meant to be 8-16 but it seems to be more like 7-14 realistically.
3. You can make a teacher account with classes which you can set homework on but I don't know much more than that.
4. There are tutorials which can be found by clicking on the ‘ideas’ button.
5. No.
6: ThatOneWeirdDude wrote at 12:40:45 PM 1/8/20204279868
There are some Scratch Coder Cards, but they are sold out right now, maybe you might want to keep your eyes on some? I've heard they are good for a classroom enviroment.
7: ioton wrote at 1:12:07 PM 1/8/20204279927
A kid giving a parent advice lol
1. It depends on your daughter. If they love books, and doesn't like the other methods of learning Scratch, then go for it!
2. “Scratch is designed especially for young people ages 8 to 16, but people of all ages create and share with Scratch.”
3. Do it in a comfortable spot and……. give homework (but not too much)
4. This PDF, this page for parents, and you can always ask them to make a project, and click on “Tutorials”.
5. No.
8: garnetluvcookie wrote at 1:25:55 PM 1/8/20204279958

tomliuwhite wrote:

I have a daughter and I have taught her a little bit about Scratch. Now I would like to teach more kids about it. I have some questions related to this:
1, Would that be better if I use a book to teach? If so, what book do you recommend?
3, Any suggestion on how to teach kids Scratch? such as, homework, class setting…
5, Is there a specific forum for teachers/parents to talk about how to teach kids Scratch?
Thanks.
1.) I taught myself, so I think that if your child wants to explore the language freely with little to no resources, she shouldn't use a book.
2.) Scratch is targeted to 8-16, but it focuses more on 8-12.
3.) I think that class setting is good for the first few days, then ease into homework and then finally independent learning.
4.) There are Scratch Coding Cards but those are sold out. There are also definitely YouTube videos out there.
5.) No, but Help With Scripts can be helpful with script bugs.

#Under10YearOldAdvice
9: NOTANO0B wrote at 1:37:53 PM 1/8/20204279983
1. probably not
2. 3-5
3. in a classroom?
4. children learn by themselves easily enough, adults are just supposed to help with navigation and bugs
5. no, if there was then this topic would probably moved there
10: -Exphire- wrote at 1:45:14 PM 1/8/20204280011

tomliuwhite wrote:

Thanks.
1. I know of some books called Coding in Scratch (or something like that), and I used some of those. However, the main way I learned was with the “tips” tab in the editor. I sometimes even STILL do them for practice, even though I have been on for a few years now.
2. Most kids on here are the age of 12, however I am 10 and I know of plenty of other 10 year old's. The most common ages are 8-14, but scratch is targeted at about 8-16 even though there are also some 7 year old's. I actually joined when I was that age.
3. I just learned at home on my computer, so idk.
5. Not that I know of.
11: GrahamSH wrote at 1:56:58 PM 1/8/20204280050

tomliuwhite wrote:

Thanks.
1, I used a few books, I don't remember the names of all of them, however I learned more on my own.
2, The scratch team says 8 to 16, however probably a kid as young as 6 may be able to understand it, and I believe that if you are older than 12 or 13 that you should move on to something else.
3, I'm not sure, it probably differs depending on the person.
4, There is the For Educators page, which can be found if you scroll down to the bottom of the website, and can also be found here.
5, There is an official facebook page which can be found here.

Hope this helps!
12: k9chelsea2 wrote at 2:40:53 PM 1/8/20204280166
1. theres a book by carol vordweman or whattevevr
2. personnally 8-11 from there kids might want to learn actual programming
3. Just teach them things that might help with other languages because scratch is supposed to help people to learn coding, explain what a varable is and give example in stuff like python or maybe pseadocode that will still make sense so that the kids can understand what those things would do in real programming
4, i don't know, but I myself am making a website (on wix might try do it in html as I find html 10 times easier than wix) on that as theres a lot of confusion on how to use scratch and what its used for
5. idkn hwoever theres a for parent and for educators section in the footer, you might want to check that out
13: HarryPotter_Hamilton wrote at 5:27:02 AM 2/8/20204282162
1. I think that this seriously depends on your child's learning style (I would recommend maybe having them take an online test to figure that out, it can help with lots of things). If they do learn from reading though, some of the people above gave some wonderful examples of books about Scratch. Personally, I just learned from myself, and I think most other Scratchers do as well, but I'm sure that reading a book couldn't hurt.
2. Well, technically a 2-year-old or a 122-year-old could both use Scratch and have a good experience, but if you want to know the average age of most Scratchers, you can view the Statistics page.
3. I wouldn't recommend homework, because I personally think that you should maybe introduce Scratch to the class, and first see how they like it, so, if they really enjoy Scratch and coding, then giving homework would probably be a good idea, but if they really dislike it, then I could see how coding could get very boring and not fun very quickly. It really depends on what the children think of Scratch, but I just really don't think that it would be a good idea to make kids not only code on Scratch during class but also give them homework.
4. Many people above listed some great resources already
5. No, but, if you find another teacher/ parent's account, you could comment on their profile asking for help with something.

Hopefully this helped!