Topic Information

"New Forumer" and "Forumer" roles by VFDan in Suggestions

Posts: 46

1: VFDan wrote at 4:31:07 AM 25/7/20204254898
I believe we should add “New Forumer” and “Forumer” roles, solely to the forums. There will be specific criteria (I'm not sure what criteria specifically, ideas are welcome) to invite a user to the Forumer role (similar to the invite to the Scratcher role). The Forumer role will have all the capabilities of the current Scratcher role, and the New Forumer role will have all the restrictions of the New Scratcher role. All current New Scratchers will be New Forumers and all current Scratchers will be Forumers; anybody that joins the site will start as a New Forumer.

Why?
Often, users are active mainly on the forums, but not much on the main site. These users are New Scratchers, and thus have the 120 second rule, can't upload images, etc. Adding the Forumer role allows for situations like this. It also works the other way; Scratchers might not know how to use the forums, and therefore should start with the restriction of New Scratchers, but they don't. Adding Forumer and New Forumer roles allows for deviation. New Scratchers can be Forumers and Scratchers can be New Forumers.
2: hedgehog_blue wrote at 5:33:02 AM 25/7/20204254947
The forum status will be separate from the regular status, so it won't be adding new roles to the current system. It's true that your experience on the forums doesn't always overlap with your experience on the rest of the site, but I don't think this extends to the status system, as it only controls images and the length of time between posts here on the forums, which seem to mostly apply to intentional spam. However if new restrictions are put in place along with the forum status system, then perhaps it can be useful, to restrict things like necroposting and blockspam, that usually happen with new forum users.
3: scratch978654 wrote at 6:39:02 AM 25/7/20204255016
(No quoting the original post, come on!)

I support. Peoppe who join get New Forumer and I guess that the criteria should be:

100 posts
10 people who benefit from your post (ideas for suggestions, requests, interesting advanced topics, help with scripts etc)

I think there could be Scratchers who only make projects (that was me before mid 2018) whereas new Scratchers might come from advanced languages and post in HWS, hence earning the Forumer.

I do think this would be representative of behavior on the forums, as New Scratchers on the forums would have 120 second rule if they don't know how to be a scratcher (I don't think you can be promoted on forums alone) and be able to get 60 second tule, images, closure etc by being a forumer. This would probably also encourage constructive posts. Only one other thing would need to be added, upvotes.

TL; DR: Support.
4: -InsanityPlays- wrote at 7:09:48 AM 25/7/20204255052
No support. The only place everyone has a new rank is the TBGs. This is Scratch. And why is this, to prevent spam? New accounts can already get IP banned for saying “Hi” twice accidentally. And the Scratcher status should stay if this does happen.
5: VFDan wrote at 7:35:05 AM 25/7/20204255083

-InsanityPlays- wrote:

No support. The only place everyone has a new rank is the TBGs. This is Scratch. And why is this, to prevent spam? New accounts can already get IP banned for saying “Hi” twice accidentally. And the Scratcher status should stay if this does happen.

scratch978654 wrote:

upvotes
I'm pretty sure this may be added when they revamp the forums along with redesigning the main site and the [scratchblocks] tag for 3.0.

The Scratcher status will stay; New Forumer and Forumer are only for the forums, as stated in my original post.

By the way, I also made the post about 3.0 Scratchblocks :P
6: HTML-Fan wrote at 9:33:10 AM 25/7/20204255239
Well … you can pretty much get a scratcher by just commenting “Great” everywhere and releasing some stupid projects, still, it would make sense in my book.
7: SausageMcSauce wrote at 1:17:09 PM 25/7/20204255570
I support this, as normal Scratchers who have not use the forums before can still spam.

Also, there was a suggestion a while ago requesting for users with less than 100 posts to not be able to post in the Announcement forum. The same could be implemented but with New Forumers being unable to post in that forum.

I also put in that same topic that spam posts, posts in April Fools topics Scratchblocks testing forum posts should not count towards being able to to post in that forum. If this suggestion were to be implemented, maybe those posts would not be able to count towards becoming a normal Forumer.
8: AmberdroptheWarrior wrote at 2:10:28 PM 25/7/20204255649

SausageMcSauce wrote:

I support this, as normal Scratchers who have not use the forums before can still spam.

Also, there was a suggestion a while ago requesting for users with less than 100 posts to not be able to post in the Announcement forum. The same could be implemented but with New Forumers being unable to post in that forum.

I also put in that same topic that spam posts, posts in April Fools topics Scratchblocks testing forum posts should not count towards being able to to post in that forum. If this suggestion were to be implemented, maybe those posts would not be able to count towards becoming a normal Forumer.
Yes, I agree 100%!
9: gilbert_given_189 wrote at 3:28:12 PM 25/7/20204255818
This will be a very useful tool to know if the person is new in the forums! Not even the post count would help. Support!
10: HTML-Fan wrote at 4:14:31 PM 25/7/20204256002
I start to like the suggestion even more after reading your posts. I was active on scratch for years and when I started using the forums, especially the suggestions, I think I did everything right, but really, my years on scratch have nothing to do with forum knowledge. And what makes it even worse: Spam bots could create some crappy projects, comment “GREAT” under a few projects and then spam way better after a while because they can post every 60s. A 100 post rule would be really good.
11: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 4:21:50 PM 25/7/20204256042
I think it would be a good idea, along with this, for New Forumers to have (similar to the 60-Second Rule), a pop-up that says:

Make sure you follow the rules of this forum before creating this (topic, post)!

Each forum has a sticky that pertains to the rules of the forum, so the link varies upon which forum you are currently in. It gets removed once you become a full Forumer.
12: HTML-Fan wrote at 4:24:01 PM 25/7/20204256051

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

I think it would be a good idea, along with this, for New Forumers to have (similar to the 60-Second Rule), a pop-up that says:

Make sure you follow the rules of this forum before creating this (topic, post)!

Each forum has a sticky that pertains to the rules of the forum, so the link varies upon which forum you are currently in. It gets removed once you become a full Forumer.
Yeah! One more awesome idea! I already suggested an info message when you enter the forum for the first time, like “Please don't create ‘Suggest your ideas here’ forums.”. I think that we have like 5 awesome pros and no cons, not bad!
13: BosenChang wrote at 4:47:13 PM 25/7/20204256137
I think this is a good idea.
So if someone has 1-100 posts, or they're a new scratcher, they're New Forumer.
If someone has 100+ posts, they're a Forumer.
I'd like to add two more.
If someone has 500+ posts, then they're a Advanced Forumer.
If someone has 1000+ posts, then they're a Expert Forumer.
14: Moon-cat90 wrote at 5:48:49 PM 25/7/20204256454

BosenChang wrote:

I think this is a good idea.
  • So if someone has 1-100 posts, or they're a new scratcher, they're New Forumer.
  • If someone has 100+ posts, they're a Forumer.
I'm very active in the forums ( When I was a new scratcher I was active too ) And I have less than 50 posts ;w; so I think than 50 post will be great:
  • So if someone has 1-50 posts, or they're a new scratcher, they're New Forumer.
  • If someone has 50+ posts, they're a Forumer.
15: HTML-Fan wrote at 5:52:10 PM 25/7/20204256473

Moon-cat90 wrote:

So if someone has 1-50 posts, or they're a new scratcher, they're New Forumer.
I don't think that both is needed.
16: secretagent123 wrote at 6:57:01 PM 25/7/20204256711
Support, I see many scratchers post irrelevant topics because of inexperience on the forums while some new scratchers may have lots of experience on the desktop app or as you say other languages. This minimises the risk of irrelevant topics bumping those which are appropriate for the forum.
17: pandacorn_owl wrote at 8:31:49 PM 25/7/20204257083
I am new to the forums and I think it is a good idea but I don't think it should be fully restricting as if you got to scratcher you already have a level of trust . Also there are people who use the forums and would be losing features because of it.
18: Moon-cat90 wrote at 8:51:02 PM 25/7/20204257156

pandacorn_owl wrote:

Also there are people who use the forums and would be losing features because of it.
Good point! I think that if you are a new forumer you should be able to import images, but you would have the 120 seconds rule.
19: -InsanityPlays- wrote at 9:02:17 PM 25/7/20204257203

BosenChang wrote:

I'd like to add two more.
  • If someone has 500+ posts, then they're a Advanced Forumer.
  • If someone has 1000+ posts, then they're a Expert Forumer.
Seems like you want scratchers to be discriminated against because of their rank.
20: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 9:04:13 PM 25/7/20204257211

BosenChang wrote:

I think this is a good idea.
  • So if someone has 1-100 posts, or they're a new scratcher, they're New Forumer.
  • If someone has 100+ posts, they're a Forumer.
I'd like to add two more.
  • If someone has 500+ posts, then they're a Advanced Forumer.
  • If someone has 1000+ posts, then they're a Expert Forumer.

I would say not. The only reason this suggestion is created is to prevent spam, just like how the New Scratcher status is to prevent spam. The Scratch Team does not want to add ranks to prevent controversy and division among the community.