Topic Information

Unsharing and resharing should not make it eligible for the explore page by Jeffalo in Suggestions

1: Jeffalo wrote at 7:32:27 AM 30/6/20204175919
As you may know, the explore page has measures in place to prevent people from staying on the explore page forever and to keep projects fresh.

What I and others have seen is people working around the system to get their projects continual access to the explore page.

This is achieved by unsharing and then sharing a project again to trick scratch into thinking it's brand new.

I think more measures should be put in place to:
#1 make abuse of the system a reportable offense
#2 add some kind of algorithm to detect based on the project first being shared and not when it was most recently shared.

I would see no downsides to implementing something like this as it would not be noticed in regular use and it just prevents abuse.
2: fdreerf wrote at 7:35:55 AM 30/6/20204175928
Abuse of the system is a reportable offense: manipulating the sites' statistics is not allowed.
3: Jeffalo wrote at 7:37:31 AM 30/6/20204175935

fdreerf wrote:

Abuse of the system is a reportable offense: manipulating the sites' statistics is not allowed.
oh yeah.

but perhaps it could be an option in the project report reason drop down.
4: MeowyTitan08 wrote at 8:53:46 AM 30/6/20204176097

Jeffalo wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

oh yeah.

Why would it? You can't report someone for abusing the report system by.. reporting a project?
5: whiteandblackcat wrote at 10:20:04 AM 30/6/20204176238

MeowyTitan08 wrote:

Jeffalo wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

oh yeah.

Why would it? You can't report someone for abusing the report system by.. reporting a project?
Not for abusing the report system, for abusing the “Explore” algorithm.
6: Za-Chary wrote at 1:10:29 PM 30/6/20204176692
I'm not really convinced yet that this is a “bug.” Since no one really knows how the Trending page works, this whole talk of a “bug” is likely just rumors and speculation. At the moment I don't believe we have restrictions on when users can unshare/re-share projects — perhaps they're just updating their project?

If you are convinced that it is a bug, a better place to go would be to report it in the “Bugs and Glitches” forum: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/3/