Topic Information

Unsharing and resharing should not make it eligible for the explore page by Jeffalo in Suggestions

Posts: 6

1: Jeffalo wrote at 7:32:27 AM 30/6/20204175919
As you may know, the explore page has measures in place to prevent people from staying on the explore page forever and to keep projects fresh.

What I and others have seen is people working around the system to get their projects continual access to the explore page.

This is achieved by unsharing and then sharing a project again to trick scratch into thinking it's brand new.

I think more measures should be put in place to:
#1 make abuse of the system a reportable offense
#2 add some kind of algorithm to detect based on the project first being shared and not when it was most recently shared.

I would see no downsides to implementing something like this as it would not be noticed in regular use and it just prevents abuse.
2: fdreerf wrote at 7:35:55 AM 30/6/20204175928
Abuse of the system is a reportable offense: manipulating the sites' statistics is not allowed.
3: Jeffalo wrote at 7:37:31 AM 30/6/20204175935

fdreerf wrote:

Abuse of the system is a reportable offense: manipulating the sites' statistics is not allowed.
oh yeah.

but perhaps it could be an option in the project report reason drop down.
4: MeowyTitan08 wrote at 8:53:46 AM 30/6/20204176097

Jeffalo wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Abuse of the system is a reportable offense: manipulating the sites' statistics is not allowed.
oh yeah.

but perhaps it could be an option in the project report reason drop down.
Why would it? You can't report someone for abusing the report system by.. reporting a project?
5: whiteandblackcat wrote at 10:20:04 AM 30/6/20204176238

MeowyTitan08 wrote:

Jeffalo wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Abuse of the system is a reportable offense: manipulating the sites' statistics is not allowed.
oh yeah.

but perhaps it could be an option in the project report reason drop down.
Why would it? You can't report someone for abusing the report system by.. reporting a project?
Not for abusing the report system, for abusing the “Explore” algorithm.
6: Za-Chary wrote at 1:10:29 PM 30/6/20204176692
I'm not really convinced yet that this is a “bug.” Since no one really knows how the Trending page works, this whole talk of a “bug” is likely just rumors and speculation. At the moment I don't believe we have restrictions on when users can unshare/re-share projects — perhaps they're just updating their project?

If you are convinced that it is a bug, a better place to go would be to report it in the “Bugs and Glitches” forum: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/3/