Topic Information

Quote and Snip Button by Super_Scratch_Bros20 in Suggestions

1: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 4:42:04 AM 25/6/20204158519
(Note: I was looking through duplicates, and I came across this topic. I do not think that this is a duplicate, but if you think otherwise, please let me know in a constructive manner.)

Hey, Scratch! I've noticed countless amounts of large quotes. I've created a simple way to end it: the quote and snip button!

Imagine I make this post:

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

Mecurey wrote:

Tickles1 wrote:

wolfquescostumes wrote:

wolfquescostumes wrote:

NikkiheartTEST wrote:

Mecurey wrote:

NikkiheartTEST wrote:

wolfquescostumes wrote:

Tickles1 wrote:

Tickles1 wrote:

Ugh @wolfquescostumes is leaving!!! That SUCKS! Gonna have to re cast both parts and recast for my star wars series!
Nevermind it was a prank lol

This ruined everything… One of my friends is no longer my friend…
She removed me from everything…
I feel like a major jerk…
I just need to tell her sorry…
I have been such a jerk…
So Siz, if you're reading this…
I'm sorry…

Your fine

WHAT IN THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE!?

A while back, @wolfquescostumes was going to leave, and she is part of this movie. But then she changed her mind, deciding she should stay (Which I'm glad about, as she is a friend of mine) so Tickles1 said he had to remove her, and she felt bad about that
No, that didn't happen, and I'm not gonna tell you to protect the privacy of who “Siz” is
If you don't KNOW EXACTLY, DON'T TELL LIES TO MAKE TICKLES AND I LOOK WORSE THEN WE ARE
This forum is for lines not for arguments.
Okay people IT'S TIME TO STOP! IT'S OLD AND BORING SO STOP IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE. MAKE UP ALREADY!
Yeah guys stop

See how spammy that is when I could just say “Yeah guys stop”? But what if there was a new button besides “Quote”? It's similar, but it turns all that spam into:

Mecurey wrote:

-snip-
Yeah guys stop

See how much more organized it looks? This will prevent long posts that are mainly just quotes. And, although users may just keep pressing “quote”, if you think that the long posts should stop, then press “Quote and Snip” when you think it's too long!

I think that this will be extremely useful, especially for people who are new to the forums, and don't know about snipping posts to make them shorter.

Thanks for your view! Please leave constructive feedback below to help edify the suggestion!
2: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 6:14:36 PM 25/6/20204160048
BUMP!
3: scratchmaster295 wrote at 6:41:07 PM 25/6/20204160149
I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about. You can edit it by removing parts of the /quote part
4: DownsGameClub wrote at 6:43:01 PM 25/6/20204160160

scratchmaster295 wrote:

I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about. You can edit it by removing parts of the /quote part
He's referring to automating the process so that manual quote snipping isn't needed as often.
5: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 6:44:34 PM 25/6/20204160166

scratchmaster295 wrote:

Yes…but sometimes, there are so many quotes in a post that it'll take forever to drag on all of it and delete the parts you don't like, and sometimes, it causes confusing quotation errors.

This just turns quotes into -snip-.
6: Madcatofdoom wrote at 7:00:01 PM 25/6/20204160211
Support! This would help with snipping quotes inside quotes which is quite a hassle to do!
7: --Explosion-- wrote at 7:03:09 PM 25/6/20204160225
Support! This would be really helpfull!
8: Nambaseking01 wrote at 7:03:43 PM 25/6/20204160228
Maybe find a shorter term for it? Having a giant “Quote and Snip” button along with the others would seem a little out-of-place. We could make a new forum terminology (like “snip”, “bump”, or “reserved”) just for this.

Perhaps something like Quo-Snip? why am i so bad at making names
9: Madcatofdoom wrote at 7:09:02 PM 25/6/20204160249

Nambaseking01 wrote:

Maybe find a shorter term for it? Having a giant “Quote and Snip” button along with the others would seem a little out-of-place. We could make a new forum terminology (like “snip”, “bump”, or “reserved”) just for this.

That sounds like a cereal…
10: Waffletron_IX wrote at 7:15:02 PM 25/6/20204160279
Yeah, there should be a little paper clip in bottom corner of the screen called snippy. this be useful for reducing spam in a time conscious manner.
11: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 7:19:31 PM 25/6/20204160292

Nambaseking01 wrote:

What if it was an icon of a quote bubble with a pair of scissors inside it?
12: kitten769 wrote at 7:21:39 PM 25/6/20204160300
Support. It might mean scratchers who are new to the forums actually snip their posts.
13: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 7:26:25 PM 25/6/20204160319

Nambaseking01 wrote:

What if it was an icon of a quote bubble with a pair of scissors inside it?

Let me think of a name, though…

The only idea I have so far is “trimming”, because it's not an entire quote, but all the long parts were trimmed off. Any better ideas, though?
14: K9shyguy wrote at 8:51:16 PM 25/6/20204160685
Support! I'm new to the forums, but can see how this would be useful. I like “quip,” but it doesn't seem very descriptive. What about just “reply?” When I think of replying, I think about someone indicating what post they're replying to, and saying whatever they wanted to say, whereas “quote” would actually copy their post into yours.
15: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 8:55:25 PM 25/6/20204160696

K9shyguy wrote:

Support! I'm new to the forums, but can see how this would be useful. I like “quip,” but it doesn't seem very descriptive. What about just “reply?” When I think of replying, I think about someone indicating what post they're replying to, and saying whatever they wanted to say, whereas “quote” would actually copy their post into yours.

I thought perhaps since if you hold your mouse over “Quote”, and it says,

Insert a quotation of this post in your reply.

I figured over “quip”, it could have a similar reply, but in different wording. I figured “snip” and “bump” aren't very descriptive, and I think adding new forum terminology is a good idea. (Thanks, @Nambaseking01!) I think “Reply” is also a good idea, but I'll just wait and see what others say first before jumping to a decision.

Thanks for your input, though
16: BosenChang wrote at 9:00:45 PM 25/6/20204160724
How about a maximum of 1 quote of 1 quote of 1 quote of the inside? And it will be better if it automatically snipped it. So what else I think is 10 lines in a quote before everything goes “snip!”.
17: K9shyguy wrote at 9:03:48 PM 25/6/20204160735

BosenChang wrote:

How about a maximum of 1 quote of 1 quote of 1 quote of the inside? And it will be better if it automatically snipped it. So what else I think is 10 lines in a quote before everything goes “snip!”.
That could work really well! Since everything's automated, maybe a little dialog could pop up explaining what happened, and give the option to revert to a full quote.
18: BosenChang wrote at 9:04:31 PM 25/6/20204160738
Anyways, support!

*real freaked because of the 60-second rule.*
19: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 9:12:04 PM 25/6/20204160767

BosenChang wrote:

There's already a suggestion for that, plus, @Za-Chary* has said before that it may not be possible to be able to tell how many quotes are in a post.
20: K9shyguy wrote at 9:18:00 PM 25/6/20204160784

BosenChang wrote:

There's already a suggestion for that, plus, @Za-Chary* has said before that it may not be possible to be able to tell how many quotes are in a post.
Well, an easy way to do it is just count up the open quote tags and the end quote tags, take the smaller number in case of mismatch, and voila!