Topic Information

Archery Parasol - A collaboration between Za-Chary and DD-8861! by Za-Chary in Show and Tell

1: Za-Chary wrote at 4:31:01 PM 24/6/20204156360
Archery Parasol
A vast platformer featuring arrows and a parasol!
By @Za-Chary and @DD-8861

You can play our newest game, Archery Parasol, here! There are two versions of the game, and each one has different levels, so be sure to try them both!
@Za-Chary’s version: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/407225948/
@DD-8861’s version: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/407225946/

Archery Parasol is a platformer that combines the main gimmicks of two platformers that @DD-8861 made, called Archery Platformer and Parasol. @Za-Chary had the idea to combine the two gimmicks into a large platforming game, and so @Za-Chary and @DD-8861 agreed to a collaboration.

@DD-8861 probably made about 90% of the code; indeed, he is very good at coding stuff efficiently and fixing bugs. @Za-Chary made a majority of the art, including the animations for Flora; he also composed the main title screen theme!

This forum topic is for anything related to Archery Parasol. Discuss the game, post save codes, ask about our experiences when making the game, tell us about any bugs, or anything else related to the game!

Credits and additional information can be found in the Notes and Credits section of the game.
2: Darkstar177 wrote at 4:49:40 PM 24/6/20204156409
It's great! I do have one question, though. How did you manage to use the bow's trajectory trackers for where the arrow would go? Was it off of an algorithm?
3: Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote at 4:58:11 PM 24/6/20204156441
That was awesome! Nice game!
4: bigpuppy wrote at 5:17:44 PM 24/6/20204156498
Yay, it's here!
5: DD-8861 wrote at 5:21:22 PM 24/6/20204156511

Darkstar177 wrote:

It's great! I do have one question, though. How did you manage to use the bow's trajectory trackers for where the arrow would go? Was it off of an algorithm?
It basically shoots an invisible arrow every frame that follows the same movement scripts, and it stamps the dots every couple steps.
6: ThatOneWeirdDude wrote at 5:28:37 PM 24/6/20204156525
my save code reee: LFFLLWLLLPLYLWCHRYLWLLLLLPLPWRNSLLFLLLFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
7: ninjaMAR wrote at 5:31:38 PM 24/6/20204156531
i love it
8: LegoManiac04 wrote at 12:04:07 AM 25/6/20204157825
This is amazing!! :0
FFFLLPLLLPCHRYLLLLWRNSLFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
9: Sunarcher wrote at 1:39:26 AM 25/6/20204158081
Completed game: LLLLLCLLLPLYLWLHLNLCPMLSCHRYPPLLLPLPLWLHLNNRLYPMLSSRLCWRNSLFLLLLLLLLFFFLFFFFLLLFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLFFFFFFFFFFFFF
. did NOT collect all the flowers so you can do that if you want but yeah, finished game
10: SelixScratch wrote at 1:52:31 AM 25/6/20204158123
I’m confused about the second portion of the Zee-Chery Shrine with the five signs. Can someone give me a pointer on how to solve that?

Thanks.
11: Za-Chary wrote at 2:22:16 AM 25/6/20204158221

SelixScratch wrote:

I’m confused about the second portion of the Zee-Chery Shrine with the five signs. Can someone give me a pointer on how to solve that?

Thanks.
What color are the signs?
12: --Explosion-- wrote at 4:28:11 AM 25/6/20204158485

DD-8861 wrote:

Darkstar177 wrote:

It basically shoots an invisible arrow every frame that follows the same movement scripts, and it stamps the dots every couple steps.
It might be more efficient to use some projectile motion algorithms, espically is you need to do other stuff with the pen.
13: SelixScratch wrote at 5:21:56 AM 25/6/20204158614

Za-Chary wrote:

SelixScratch wrote:

Thanks.
What color are the signs?

They’re tan, I believe. Each has a square located above that fills in green when hit with a normal (but not if hit by a golden) arrow.
14: Za-Chary wrote at 5:39:20 AM 25/6/20204158639

SelixScratch wrote:

One way to solve it is to list out all the possibilities (true/false) between the signs, and narrow down the possibilities to the only one that works.

Alternatively, you can use logic to do this, although it's quite tricky to do so — requires quite a bit of guess-and-check. I'll explain in-depth how the logic works. Let T mean “this sign tells the truth,” let L mean “this sign lies,” and let _ denote “we don't know yet.” So, if we finish and get TTTLL, then we deduced that the first three signs tell the truth, and the last two lie.

First we start by not knowing anything.
_ _ _ _ _
Through guess-and-check, let us suppose that the first sign, “My neighbor tells the truth,” is telling the truth. Then, we directly know that the second sign, “Both of my neighbors lie,” is telling the truth. But this is impossible — the second sign's neighbors cannot both be lying, since we assumed that the first sign is telling the truth! That's a contradiction — we are left to assume that the first sign is lying.
L _ _ _ _
Since the first sign is lying, then “My neighbor tells the truth” is a lie. That is, “My neighbor is lying.” So we immediately know that the second sign is lying.
L L _ _ _
Since the second sign is lying, then “Both of my neighbors lie” is a lie. This means at least one of the neighbors is telling the truth. Since we know for sure that the first sign is lying, the third sign must tell the truth.
L L T _ _
The third sign, telling the truth, states that “Only one of my neighbors tells the truth.” Since one of its neighbors (the second sign) is already known to be a liar, we can safely say that the other neighbor (the fourth sign) is telling the truth.
L L T T _
Now, the fourth sign truthfully states “Exactly three of us are liars.” So far we have 2 liars — this means the last sign must be a liar (otherwise we don't have 3 liars, so the fourth sign would not be telling the truth, a contradiction).
L L T T L
This last sign, “Shoot only the lights above who tell the truth,” is lying. That means that you should do the opposite — shoot only the lights above who lie. Therefore, shooting the first, second, and fifth lights (from left to right) will complete the riddle.
15: SelixScratch wrote at 6:12:09 AM 25/6/20204158715
Let me see if this works. I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
16: Sunarcher wrote at 6:20:11 AM 25/6/20204158740
On D's archery parasol, for the autum level, how am i supposed to beat it in under 85 seconds, shoot no arrows, or use my parasol or pogo stick. Some of the levels NEED them to actually allow you to cross

legit you can try it yourself: LLLLPLLLLPLYLWLHPFLNLCPMLSPLCHRYPPLLLPLWLWLWLHLNNRLYPMLYPLWRNSLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFFFLLLFFFFFFLLLFFFFFFFFFLLLFFFFFFFFFFFFF

(bottom left corner)
17: DD-8861 wrote at 6:55:48 AM 25/6/20204158801

--Explosion-- wrote:

DD-8861 wrote:

It might be more efficient to use some projectile motion algorithms, espically is you need to do other stuff with the pen.
They aren't actually pen, they are clones. I had to use clones instead of pen because pen always goes to the back layer, and it would look bad if the guide was behind the background, and sometimes you wouldn't even be able to see it at all, so I had to make them as clones that can go to the front layer. I tried some sort of algorithm but it was not as accurate, like the arrow could be slightly off from what the guide would show, which could get pretty annoying in a game where you need very precise arrow shots. The method I use now works pretty smoothly, if I did get an algorithm that works exact, I expect it would still run at the same speed anyways.
18: SelixScratch wrote at 7:22:42 AM 25/6/20204158851
When you press X, the graphics all turn black– my guess is this was used at some point in development, but now it just makes everything look bad for the remainder of the level.

By the way, the solution worked.
19: Za-Chary wrote at 7:31:09 AM 25/6/20204158860

SelixScratch wrote:

When you press X, the graphics all turn black– my guess is this was used at some point in development, but now it just makes everything look bad for the remainder of the level.

By the way, the solution worked.
Good to hear! And thanks for letting us know about the X thing — we've fixed it now.
20: SelixScratch wrote at 8:29:19 AM 25/6/20204158908
Cool! I’ll probably play some more tomorrow, and maybe try to unlock all the levels!

By the way, concept of having different levels played on different accounts is perhaps the best way to make the collab aspect appreciated. Splitting the full experience between both contributors helps prevent one person’s version from getting all the attention.