Topic Information

Start temporarily forum muting for necroposts (or unconstructive posts in general) by ResExsention in Suggestions

1: ResExsention wrote at 12:03:52 PM 4/2/20203828132
Mute those from the forums for half an hour if they have been confirmed to have been making unconstructive posts, and provide a polite message indicating the rules of the forums. Mute time scales up to two hours for consecutive unconstructive posts.

Also, add a new report option specifically meant for flagging what you think are not constructive posts.

They do it in the Cosmoteer forums – it really helps keep them clean. The only difference is that it's a full three day suspension for even first offenders.
2: Za-Chary wrote at 12:07:06 PM 4/2/20203828135
Is this an automatic muting, or one that a Scratch Team member must apply manually? If it is automatic, how do we tell what is considered an unconstructive post?

As for your new report option, you could just use the existing Report button and explain that you believe the post is unconstructive.
3: ResExsention wrote at 12:10:57 PM 4/2/20203828138

Za-Chary wrote:

Is this an automatic muting, or one that a Scratch Team member must apply manually? If it is automatic, how do we tell what is considered an unconstructive post?

As for your new report option, you could just use the existing Report button and explain that you believe the post is unconstructive.

I edited it, btw.

It can be automatic if at least two or three people report it as unconstructive – otherwise an ST will have to check it over.

The main idea here is that it allows an ST to skip the reading of a report and get straight into reading the unconstructive post (which are usually very short, so they can probably just be a tooltip or something when an ST hovers over it in the report list).
4: ResExsention wrote at 11:10:58 AM 5/2/20203829196
Bump.

Actually I think I'm going to amend my suggestion. I think it should be only one “not constructive” flag = mute. This would be fully automated. I also suggest making the mute time for first offenses even longer – four hours. This should give the person some time to think.

The reason I'm saying this is because I found this post and would really like to have a faster way to clean stuff like this up and guide the person without having to write a reply and then report. The system could do it all in one step, and it keeps useless posts away from the forums.

It could also detect seemingly random strings of characters (such as “iuahfuehaf”) in order to help detect spam, but this is just an addition.
5: venyanwarrior wrote at 4:40:17 PM 5/2/20203829428

ResExsention wrote:

Bump.

Actually I think I'm going to amend my suggestion. I think it should be only one “not constructive” flag = mute. This would be fully automated. I also suggest making the mute time for first offenses even longer – four hours. This should give the person some time to think.

The reason I'm saying this is because I found this post and would really like to have a faster way to clean stuff like this up and guide the person without having to write a reply and then report. The system could do it all in one step, and it keeps useless posts away from the forums.

It could also detect seemingly random strings of characters (such as “iuahfuehaf”) in order to help detect spam, but this is just an addition.
But what if someone just reports a constructive post because they think it's funny? I'm just saying, that's the kind of humor I had 3 years ago. I think multiple reports would be required.
6: badatprogrammingibe wrote at 8:31:21 PM 5/2/20203829632
No support, considering the attitude and culture of this forum this would be a disaster.
7: Paddle2See wrote at 9:19:56 PM 5/2/20203829707

badatprogrammingibe wrote:

No support, considering the attitude and culture of this forum this would be a disaster.
Can you expand on that a bit? Do you feel that the feature would be abused? Is there a safeguard you can think of?
8: badatprogrammingibe wrote at 5:17:06 AM 6/2/20203830155

Paddle2See wrote:

Can you expand on that a bit? Do you feel that the feature would be abused? Is there a safeguard you can think of?
The current culture of the forum is very antagonistic towards members who are new to the forum. Many users (particularly those that frequent the suggestions forum) abuse members who don't understand the forum regularly by telling them in a rude and condescending way that they are not constructive.
This would lead to many users being muted for hours for simply necroposting or saying “support,” both of which are essentially harmless actions that don't cause any serious harm.

Also automatically muting/banning users from a single report is just a bad idea in of itself. It wouldn't be hard for me to create an account, then go around trolling and banning everyone.
Even if multiple report are required to mute/ban someone, this feature can still be abused through the use of alternate accounts or syndicates of trolls.
Also when people misunderstand the rules, people can get banned for things that don't break the rules in any way, for example system64 of this thread: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/141100/?page=1
9: ResExsention wrote at 9:35:10 AM 6/2/20203830246

Even if multiple report are required to mute/ban someone, this feature can still be abused through the use of alternate accounts or syndicates of trolls.

There's always a risk of that.

This also doesn't have to be an automatic procedure – at the least I intend to have the penalty increased.

Paddle2See wrote:

The current culture of the forum is very antagonistic towards members who are new to the forum. Many users (particularly those that frequent the suggestions forum) abuse members who don't understand the forum regularly by telling them in a rude and condescending way that they are not constructive.
This would lead to many users being muted for hours for simply necroposting or saying “support,” both of which are essentially harmless actions that don't cause any serious harm.

“support” won't be a mutable reason.

That's the entire purpose of this. To remove bad-mannered mini-mods. About your new user issue: I believe in another suggestion it proposed to add a popup letting new forumers know that rules exist. For first timers I guess it could be a really short 15 minute mute but for already well versed people we could increase the time to two hours.
10: DipLeChip wrote at 11:54:22 AM 6/2/20203830340

Paddle2See wrote:

Yeah, that hell hole exists on a forum site (not going to link because it is full of roblox hackers (which is known for scams that can seize your computer) and is a marketplace for stuff), it's not fun.
11: ResExsention wrote at 3:12:59 PM 6/2/20203830494

DipLeChip wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Yeah, that hell hole exists on a forum site (not going to link because it is full of roblox hackers (which is known for scams that can seize your computer) and is a marketplace for stuff, also contains loads of swearing), it's not fun.

??

I don't understand…
12: ResExsention wrote at 8:37:33 AM 7/2/20203831320
Bump.

Seriously, as of right now I really think the forums are a mess.
13: ResExsention wrote at 10:17:43 AM 9/2/20203833614
Bump.
14: Mr_PenguinAlex wrote at 12:38:33 PM 9/2/20203833694

No support for this reason. Lots of people would get falsely reported.
15: ResExsention wrote at 1:49:52 PM 9/2/20203833828
As I said earlier, this doesn't have to be automated.

The least I'm asking is to start muting nonconstructive posters.
16: ResExsention wrote at 1:54:21 PM 9/2/20203833836
I would edit the above but rip I can't

Or if you're really so worried about troll reporters then the person can always ask an ST to check stuff over when they come back if they have reason to believe they were just getting trolled.
17: badatprogrammingibe wrote at 8:00:10 PM 9/2/20203834087

ResExsention wrote:

Why should nonconstructive posters be muted? The vast majority of nonconstructive posters (except for of course the nonconstructive posters with 1000+ posts, but they're a lost cause) stop necroposting or being nonconstructive after a single warning.
18: Epic_TV wrote at 1:58:36 AM 10/2/20203834346

ResExsention wrote:

-snip-
I support this, mainly because I've seen a lot of new users acting nonconstructive around the forums.

batatprogrammingibe wrote:

-snip-
However, I have to go with badatprogrammingibe.

My final decision: Neutral, leaning towards support.
19: ResExsention wrote at 10:07:53 AM 10/2/20203834649

ResExsention wrote:

Why should nonconstructive posters be muted? The vast majority of nonconstructive posters (except for of course the nonconstructive posters with 1000+ posts, but they're a lost cause) stop necroposting or being nonconstructive after a single warning.

A majority of them either run away and never come back; or return and continue their behavior. Not all of them, but based on what I've seen it's the most common result.

The reason for the mute is not to antagonize them, but to give them the time to look in the right places and figure out where to go, and then provide another chance. What I usually see is people immediately posting with complete disregard for the rules (for most people new to forums anyway), and in general when people shoot them down, while they do explain their offense, an overwhelming majority of the time people do not link to any rule stickies or end with a vague “please read the ‘stickies’”.
20: OurPrincess wrote at 7:49:26 PM 10/2/20203835039
I don't support this. (I don't use the terms “Support” and “No Support” anymore. Why did this even become a thing and who started all this?)

Reasons:
  • This is a free website, where anyone can do anything that doesn't break the Community Guidelines. This could make Scratch less free and more serious.

• Before you accuse me of pampering Scratchers, many people that are new to the forums generally post unconstructive posts, and in my opinion, it's rude to mute them just because of a single post.

• Many people wouldn't like it and start protesting against the rule. (They can do this without the ST noticing at all.)

• Anyone can just report someone's post as unconstructive for any reason at all.

• Scratch has been created with Scratchers' enjoyment in mind, and forum muting may cause Scratchers to question Scratch's real purpose.

• I think if someone is muted many times in a short period of time, they could be banned and the reasons above suggest that it's a crazy reason to get banned.

I think your idea is flawed. I was able to come up with at least six reasons why this isn't a good idea.