Topic Information

WHY DOES THE ST HATE DISCORD? by Messages_4_u in Questions about Scratch

1: Messages_4_u wrote at 11:12:46 PM 21/3/20193479002
I had my old account banned until tomorrow, ON WEDNESDAY! The account was @jcc098 but I got banned the second time for mentioning it, in a list of stuff I like. Anyone know how they plan to stop this stuff from happening?
2: Za-Chary wrote at 11:28:54 PM 21/3/20193479020
The Scratch Team doesn't like Discord because it can lead to Scratchers private messaging each other, which is an Internet safety issue.

Does that answer your question?
3: XxShazammxX wrote at 12:13:51 AM 22/3/20193479062
Discord servers are against the Scratch Community Guidelines because Scratch doesn't like Private Messaging happen, due to internet safety and cyberbullying. If you have something to say to a Scratcher, message them on the website.
4: Messages_4_u wrote at 1:41:27 AM 22/3/20193479119
I mentioned it and got banned, I was talking about what I like doing and nowhere did I mention any links or names
5: hurricinator wrote at 6:33:49 AM 22/3/20193479239

XxShazammxX wrote:

Discord servers are against the Scratch Community Guidelines because Scratch doesn't like Private Messaging happen, due to internet safety and cyberbullying. If you have something to say to a Scratcher, message them on the website.
tbf I find it weird that they ban you for using a service that isn't even theirs. If you and some of your friends on scratch would like to talk to each other in Discord, you should be able to do that imo.
6: hurricinator wrote at 6:45:52 AM 22/3/20193479244

hurricinator wrote:

XxShazammxX wrote:

tbf I find it weird that they ban you for using a service that isn't even theirs. If you and some of your friends on scratch would like to talk to each other in Discord, you should be able to do that imo.
would like to add that I understand why you're not allowed to post links to discords etc. I just don't agree with banning somebody just because he mentions he enjoys talking with other scratchers in a discord chat
7: XxShazammxX wrote at 9:12:17 AM 22/3/20193479283

hurricinator wrote:

hurricinator wrote:

XxShazammxX wrote:

would like to add that I understand why you're not allowed to post links to discords etc. I just don't agree with banning somebody just because he mentions he enjoys talking with other scratchers in a discord chat
Scratch doesn't want it to lead to cyberbullying, and it's against the guidelines only for our safety as Scratchers.
8: Messages_4_u wrote at 11:34:38 AM 22/3/20193479382
I never put a link in the comment they banned me over “commit tpose and talk on discord” (In a studio that asked what people did for fun)
9: hurricinator wrote at 12:14:49 PM 22/3/20193479415

XxShazammxX wrote:

hurricinator wrote:

hurricinator wrote:

XxShazammxX wrote:

Scratch doesn't want it to lead to cyberbullying, and it's against the guidelines only for our safety as Scratchers.
Then they can ban everybody who is on social media too. That's why I said, as long as you don't post links to discords and such, it shouldn't be a problem and they shouldn't ban you for just saying you like talking on discord
10: Za-Chary wrote at 12:41:15 PM 22/3/20193479439

Messages_4_u wrote:

I never put a link in the comment they banned me over “commit tpose and talk on discord” (In a studio that asked what people did for fun)
I think “talk on discord” is what did it. A first glance through the comment makes it sound like you're commanding someone to do something. Like, “You should commit t-pose and talk on Discord.”

A good way to get around this is to say something like “I like to commit t-pose and I like to talk on Discord” (or even replace “Discord” with “other social media websites”). I don't know how much context the Scratch Team looks into comments (you do say this was said on a studio that asked what people did for fun), but the Scratch Team acts for the best interest of users and isn't really willing to risk anything.

hurricinator wrote:

Then they can ban everybody who is on social media too. That's why I said, as long as you don't post links to discords and such, it shouldn't be a problem and they shouldn't ban you for just saying you like talking on discord
The thing with Discord is that it's a little more private and unmoderated. I'm not sure of the full reason that it's banned, but that's gotta be at least part of the reason. I'm sure there are other similar social media websites that are banned — you just don't hear of them as much because Discord is a popular one.
11: Messages_4_u wrote at 12:52:40 PM 22/3/20193479456

Za-Chary wrote:

Messages_4_u wrote:

I think “talk on discord” is what did it. A first glance through the comment makes it sound like you're commanding someone to do something. Like, “You should commit t-pose and talk on Discord.”

A good way to get around this is to say something like “I like to commit t-pose and I like to talk on Discord” (or even replace “Discord” with “other social media websites”). I don't know how much context the Scratch Team looks into comments (you do say this was said on a studio that asked what people did for fun), but the Scratch Team acts for the best interest of users and isn't really willing to risk anything.

hurricinator wrote:

The thing with Discord is that it's a little more private and unmoderated. I'm not sure of the full reason that it's banned, but that's gotta be at least part of the reason. I'm sure there are other similar social media websites that are banned — you just don't hear of them as much because Discord is a popular one.
I'm not asking anyone to do anything, unless they use a bot, they need to look
12: LegoManiac04 wrote at 6:45:17 PM 22/3/20193479839
Discord is not allowed on Scratch because it can lead to Private Messaging, Cyberbullying, and Profanity. Because Scratch is supposed to be Family-friendly, places that are not family-friendly (like discord) are not allowed.

While it is a bit unclear to me why you would receive a ban over this, I assume it was done as a warning that Discord is not allowed in Scratch.
13: Epic_TV wrote at 1:53:01 AM 23/3/20193480267
Yes, the ST is strict about this. I got a warning for accidentally sharing my Discord info. It was removed a week later. Luckily it was a alert, not a ban,
14: Messages_4_u wrote at 10:13:27 AM 23/3/20193480554

Epic_TV wrote:

Yes, the ST is strict about this. I got a warning for accidentally sharing my Discord info. It was removed a week later. Luckily it was a alert, not a ban,
It seems they like to randomize it
I got one notification for putting a thing about it on scratch the first time, and then I got three after I came back from a three- four day ban the second time
15: ChazizYT wrote at 7:19:43 PM 23/3/20193481005
Discord was actually investigated at one point by the FBI. Due to some stuff i don't remember.
16: Messages_4_u wrote at 4:57:12 PM 24/3/20193481912

ChazizYT wrote:

Discord was actually investigated at one point by the FBI. Due to some stuff i don't remember.
due to sexual criminals and illegal trade
17: Harakou wrote at 3:12:49 AM 25/3/20193482368
Just like with any other chat service, we don't allow Discord because it allows Scratchers to chat in a way that circumvents our moderation policies. This is an important safety concern, as many Scratchers are young and need be careful about sharing information online. See the Community Guidelines.
18: Reebooted21 wrote at 1:46:16 PM 1/8/20204280016

Harakou wrote:

Just like with any other chat service, we don't allow Discord because it allows Scratchers to chat in a way that circumvents our moderation policies. This is an important safety concern, as many Scratchers are young and need be careful about sharing information online. See the Community Guidelines.
I'm 10 and i know (nearly ) every swear word so I don't care If I get any swear messages I'll just reply but more Offensive.
19: ThatOneWeirdDude wrote at 1:53:25 PM 1/8/20204280040

Reebooted21 wrote:

Harakou wrote:

I'm 10 and i know (nearly ) every swear word so I don't care If I get any swear messages I'll just reply but more Offensive.
Thats a bad habit, instead you should simply block the user if the social media allows it. Saying these words at a young age leads to bad things later on.
20: CatsUnited wrote at 1:55:06 PM 1/8/20204280046

Reebooted21 wrote:

Harakou wrote:

Personally I don't approach life like that but ok
Also, I would advise checking the date of the topic you're posting on though while on the Questions about Scratch forum - the last post was from March of last year